Sunday, July 17, 2011
Trivial Sunday- Don't Call Me Daughter
The post title comes from Pearl Jam's "Daughter" which gets huge points from me for resisting the urge to rhyme "daughter" with "water" as so many others have done: Loudon Wainwright (Daughter), P.J. Harvey (Down by the Water), Kiss (Hard Luck Woman), Taylor Swift (Mine), Uncle Kracker (Whiskey and Water), Gretchen Wilson (Walk on Water), Damien Rice (Blower's Daughter)...
Anyway, this is a book blog not a music blog, and the reason I bring this all up at all, is because lately I've been noticing the ridiculous number of books that have "Daughter" in the title. "The Book Blogger's Daughter," "The Crypt-Keeper's Daughter," enough already! While a couple of these have been around for a while, it's getting to be as bad as "The Secret Life of...". So today I bring you daughter title trivia!
Feel free to do all 12 at home, but only answer 1 in the answers below. That way 9 others will have a chance to play along. Try to answer the question you feel would be the most difficult. Also, bonus points if you tell me another song that rhymes water with daughter.
1. What is the name of the Amy Tan novel that was also turned into an opera by Stewart Wallace and commissioned by San Francisco Opera in 2008?
2. What is the English title of Simone de Beauvoir's autobiography originally published as Mémoires d'une jeune fille rangée?
3. Contrary to popular belief this Timothy Findley novel was not written about Alexa Ray Joel.
4. Who is the Pulitzer Prize winning author behind the Winemaker's Daughter?
5. Name the daughter book by Shilpi Somaya Gowda that was a #1 Canadian Bestseller.
6. Which New York Times Paperback Bestseller was turned into a TV Movie airing in 2008 on Lifetime?
7. What is the only Daughter book on Oprah's Book Club list?
8. Match the titles below with these authors: Joan Aiken, Michelle Moran, Eve Bunting, June White
i. Daughters of Isis
ii. Cleopatra's Daughter
iii. Eliza's Daughter
iv. The Pirate's Daughter
9. What is the title of Laurie Sandell's graphic novel about her father?
10. Which other family member is mentioned in the daughter title of Lesley Crewe?
11. What is the name of Jostein Gaardner's upcoming novel?
12. What book does this Amazon product description refer to?
"An accomplished, hard-hitting debut novel that marries a page-turning plot with the stories of three women, each of whom is struggling with decisions that will change the course of her life.
The violent death of a Canadian water company executive in a black township of Johannesburg throws together a South African anti-privatization activist and the water executive's daughter, Claire, who arrives suddenly from Canada desperate to understand her father's death. The murder investigation -- led by an officer who is finding her own loyalties increasingly unclear -- and Claire's personal quest become entwined, and the young Canadian's involvement with the activist brings her ever closer to a shocking truth she might not be able to bear. ______, like its characters, is fierce and tender, thought-provoking and emotionally rich. It introduces Emma Ruby-Sachs as an enormously talented, original, and fearless new voice in Canadian fiction."